GodSpeak for the Week after Holy Trinity Sunday – beginning May 28
“Keeping Things Balanced”
This week, we continue our “Springing Into Summer” sermon series with our annual celebration of Holy Trinity Sunday.
Day 1…Read Isaiah 6:1-8
- Consider this – the word “holy” means “set apart for God’s specific purpose.”
- Answer this – what are some of the qualities which make God “holy” in this passage?
Day 2…Read Isaiah 6:1-8 (again)
- Answer this – what was the effect of the seraphim touching Isaiah’s lips with the burning coal (Ouch!) What did this do for Isaiah, that had not been there before?
- Answer this – Why did Isaiah say, “Here am I. Send me!” (i.e., he was the only one in the Temple with God and the seraphim)
Day 3…Read Acts 2:22-36
- Answer this – what was the effect on Peter of having the Holy Spirit descend upon him? What did it cause/allow him to do?
Day 4…Read John 3:1-2
- Consider this – in v. 2, Nicodemus says to Jesus: “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God…” As such, there is more than one Pharisee who knows Jesus has come from God!
- Answer this – so, if there was more than one Pharisee who recognized Jesus had come from God, why were they so determined to undermine and get rid of Him?
Day 5…Read John 3:1-6
- Consider this – in v. 6, Jesus notes: “Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.” The “Flesh gives birth to flesh” part is pretty straightforward/easy to understand.
- Answer this – what does Jesus mean by “…the Spirit gives birth to spirit,” though?
Day 6…Read John 3:16-17
- Consider this – John 3:16 was called by Martin Luther “The Gospel in Miniature.” In it is succinctly summarized the whole of the Good News!
- Answer this – but, what does John 3:17 add and/or amplify, that helps us better understand The Gospel in Miniature?