Week 5: October 12-17
Genesis 45-Exodus 4
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, Oct 12 Genesis 45-46 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. Review Genesis 45:1-28. How does Joseph remind you of Jesus?
Tuesday, Oct 13 Genesis 47-48 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. What roots for the nation of Israel do you see in chapters 48-49?
Wednesday, Oct 14 Genesis 49-50 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. Recalling his brothers’ action against him, Joseph said, “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives (Genesis 50:20). What good has God worked in your life, in spite of the evil intentions of others against you?
Thursday, Oct 15 Exodus 1 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. Exodus 1:12 records, “The more they were oppressed, the more they multiplied and spread.” Relate these words to the history of the Christian church under persecution.
Friday, Oct 16 Exodus 2 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. Review Exodus 2:1-10 and Hebrews 11:24-26. God provided Moses with an upbringing that included the best the pagan Egyptian world had to offer. What did Moses, by the power and grace of God, realize about the pleasures of a world void of God? How does Moses’ experience remind us of our own situation?
Saturday, Oct 17 Exodus 3-4 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. Exodus 3:1-15 reminds us that God hears the prayers of His people. In response He might have simply destroyed the Egyptian government. Or He might have inclined the heart of Pharaoh to be favorably disposed to release the people. Instead God worked through means; He rescued His people through the deliverance He provided by way of Moses. Through what means does God strengthen and sustain you?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia Publishing House
via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, via phone at 1-800-325-3381, or via fax at 1-800-490-9889.