GodSpeak for the week of July 8
We begin a new, short sermon series this week – “Are We There, Yet?!” – focusing on what St. Peter has to teach us about the notion of patience.
Day 1… Read 2 Peter 3:1-9 (focusing especially on v. 3)
- Consider this – the issue Peter is speaking to are “scoffers” (i.e., people who were mocking Jesus’ followers, because the Lord had not yet come back for His second and final time to earth). Their rationale was that, since Jesus has not come back (and, He wasn’t EVER coming back) folks could live any earthly way they pleased.
- Answer this – why are some, even and especially these days, so resistant to the idea that Christ has come into the world to save us from death and sin and that He will come again one last time?
- Why not just accept His grace and gift?!
Day 2…Read 2 Peter 3:1-9 (focusing especially on vv. 5-6)
- Consider this – Peter now lists several things God has done in history; things where God has spoken and things happen (e.g., Creation, the Flood, etc.)
- Answer this – why does Peter do this? What is he trying to get his listeners to understand?
Day 3…Read 2 Peter 3:1-9 (focusing, again, especially on v. 5)
- Consider this – Peter is careful and clear to point out that those who scoff at Jesus’ promised return to earth “deliberately forget” what God had done in the past.
- Answer this – what does this say about the nature and character of those kinds of people?
Day 4…Read 2 Peter 3:1-9 (focusing especially on v. 8)
- Consider this – Peter tells his listeners “…do not forget this one thing…”; what he’s trying to emphasize is – don’t let this ONE IMPORTANT FACT escape your attention!
- Consider this – and that one, important fact is: time, for God, isn’t like it is for us.
- What we consider “slow” isn’t applicable to God, since God works in His own timing!
- Answer this – what does this mean for us as Christians? What does this mean for us, when we’re compelled to “wait on the Lord”?
Day 5…Read 2 Peter 3:1-9 (focusing especially on v. 9)
- Answer this – so, why IS God “taking His time” in sending Jesus back one, final time to earth?
- What’s at stake/what does He stand to GAIN by waiting?
Day 6…Read Luke 23:1-12 (focusing especially on v. 9)
- Consider this – in this passage, Jesus stands before Herod, the chief priests and teachers of the Law.
- Answer this – given everything Peter testifies to in terms of how God acts towards us, why does Jesus act the way He does, here?
- How does Jesus illustrate – in this one verse [v.9] – everything Peter talks about in the passage we have for this week?