GodSpeak for the Week of October 7
This week we stay with the Lectionary, with a special focus on words from the book of Mark’s gospel about “adult” versus “childlike” faith.
Day 1…Read Mark 10:2-16
- Consider this – the Pharisees obviously know what they think on the subject. They’re testing Jesus to get Him into a “black or white” kind of answer; an answer they can later use against Him.
- Answer this – how does Jesus’ answer to the Pharisees’ question help Him?
- In this case, what does answering a question with a question help Jesus to learn/see/do with the Pharisees?
Day 2…Read Mark 10:2-16 (again)
- Consider this – pay particular attention to what Jesus SPECIFICALLY asks the Pharisees in v. 3 versus how the Pharisees SPECIFICALLY answer in v. 4.
- Answer this – they’re both talking about Moses and how he responded to the issue. What’s the DIFFERENCE between how Jesus and the Pharisees DESCRIBE Moses’ response?
- What does this tell you about what’s going on in the Pharisees’ minds?
Day 3…Read Mark 10:2-16 (again)
- Consider this – vv. 3 and 4 have the Law about divorce centered on MOSES.
- Moses is seen by both Jesus and the Pharisees as the commandment and permission-giver in those verses.
- Answer this – beginning in v. 6, to whom does Jesus switch the focus?
- Why is this important?
Day 4…Read Mark 10:2-16 (again – focusing especially on v. 9)
- Consider this – the Pharisees have appealed to the Law Moses had given them. In v. 9, Jesus declares “…let no one separate.”
- Answer this – how iron-clad is Jesus’ command, here?
- The implication is that – even who – cannot separate what God has joined together? (and, do you think this is going to win points for Jesus with the Pharisees???)
Day 5…Read Mark 10:2-16 (again – focusing especially on v. 13)
- Consider this – the Greek word Mark uses for “place His hands on them” has the connotation of Jesus “fastening Himself to” and/or “adhering to” the kids.
- Consider this – Jesus has just gotten done talking about that which God has joined together, let no one separate.
- Answer this – to whom does God/Jesus now…literally…join Himself?
- Why is this important? What does this say about our God and Lord?
Day 6…Read Mark 10:2-16 (again – focusing especially on v. 15)
- Answer this – what is it about kids (versus adults, like the Pharisees) that compels the Lord to declare that they will inherit the Kingdom of God?
- What do kids do/believe that Jesus wants us adults to do/believe?