GodSpeak for the Week of September 16
Day 1…Read Jeremiah 29:8-11 (focusing especially on vv. 8-9)
- Consider this – these first couple of verses in this passage are hard-edged and commanding. Yet, there is HOPE among these words!
- Answer this – what words and/or concepts convey a sense of HOPE in these couple of verses?
Day 2…Read Jeremiah 29:8-11 (focusing especially on vv. 10-11)
- Answer this – where is God’s promise of HOPE in this part of the passage? What is God promising to do?
- Consider this – yet, the people will have to wait 70 YEARS for the fulfilment of these promises to happen!
- Answer this – how can a promise…70 years in the distance!…be a source of HOPE?
Day 3…Read Romans 5:1-11
- Answer this – according to Paul, what gives us PEACE with God through Christ?
- Notice this – how Paul words “…justified through faith”; “…we have been…”
- Answer this – who, then, is doing the work of moving us to faith? Who gets the credit for our faith (and, ALL of the credit, at that!)?
Day 4…Read Romans 5:1-11 (again)
- Consider this – it is often said that God’s timing is not necessarily our timing.
- Answer this – that said, why is v. 6 so vitally important? What does Paul say and mean, here?
Day 5…Read Mark 13:28-31
- Answer this – how does Jesus’ talk of fig twigs and the approach of summer convey a sense of HOPE?
Day 6…Read Mark 13:28-31
- Consider this – Jesus notes famously in v. 30: “Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.”
- Answer this – who do you think Jesus was thinking of, when he referred to “…this generation…”?
- Answer this – how has Jesus’ promise that His “…words will never pass away.” proven true?