1 John – 2 John
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, August 15 1 John 1 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. Read 1 John 1:8-10. John speaks bluntly in verse 8 because the Gnostics denied the existence of sin. Sin is not a fashionable concept in our time, either. Yet if we deny our sinful nature, what does John say we’re doing? If we confess our sins, what will be the result?
Tuesday, August 16 1 John 2 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. What is the will of God (1 John 2:17)? (If you’re not sure, check John 6:40 and 1 Thessalonians 4:3.)
Wednesday, August 17 1 John 3 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. In 1 John 3:9 John paints a word picture. The living Word of God is compared to the sperm (seed; Greek sperma) in human reproduction. The Word gives us life, and the Father’s characteristics are transferred to the child (believer). Jesus used a different comparison in Matthew 7:15-20. What principles can you glean from Jesus’ words in Matthew to help us evaluate what we see, read, and hear?
Thursday, August 18 1 John 4 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. What reassurance does John offer to us in 1 John 4:4 regarding the power of evil spirits over a Christian?
Friday, August 19 1 John 5 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. What are some practical consequences of the fact that we have overcome the world through our faith in Jesus (1 John 5:4-5)? Be as specific as possible.
Saturday, August 20 2 John 1 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. Read 2 John. What have you “worked for” (verse eight) that could possibly be lost by falling prey to a false teacher?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia
Publishing House via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, via phone at 1-800-325-3381,
or via fax at 1-800-490-9889