Week 15: December 21-26
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, Dec 21 Deuteronomy 7 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. According to Deuteronomy 7:7-8, why did God choose you to be among those who belong to Him through faith in Christ Jesus? According to Ephesians 1:4-6, how do those of us not biological descendants of Abraham also come under the promise God made to the ancestors of the nation of Israel?
Tuesday, Dec 22 Deuteronomy 8 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. Jesus quoted Deuteronomy 8:3 as He fended off the devil’s temptation (Matthew 4:4). How does remaining close to our Savior through His Word help you to avoid the temptation to ignore your need for Jesus and the salvation He earned for you on Calvary?
Wednesday, Dec 23 Deuteronomy 9-10 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. Deuteronomy 10 praises God for His greatness and His love. Deuteronomy 10:21 records Moses’ words about God, “He is your praise; He is your God, who performed for you those great and awesome wonders you saw with your own eyes.” To what wonders is Moses referring? What wonders come to your mind this Easter as you reflect on God’s goodness to you through Jesus?
Thursday, Dec 24 Deuteronomy 11-12 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. In Deuteronomy 11:2-7, God reminds the adults that their children have not seen with their own eyes the wonderful things God did for them. In verse 18-20 God reminds these same adults to make His words prominent in their lives and to share them with their children intentionally and continuously. What specifically would you like to share with the young people in your life about what God has done for you in Christ Jesus? What avenues for sharing God Word with the younger generation are open to you?
Friday, Dec 25 Deuteronomy 13 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. Like God’s Old Testament people, contemporary believers also hear enticements such as “Let us follow other gods” (Deuteronomy 13:2). In what form does that call come to you most loudly in your daily life? What can you do to avoid or silence that call in your life? How does God’s Spirit empower us to resist the temptation to “follow other gods”? See 1 Thessalonians 2:13.
Saturday, Dec 26 Deuteronomy 14-15 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. Deuteronomy 15:10-11 describes the attitude God desires His people to have toward those less fortunate. Describe this attitude & the promise God associates with it. God’s Word deals with this same topic in 2 Corinthians 9:10-11. What is the indescribable gift God has given us (2 Cor 9:15)?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia Publishing House
via e-mail at email@example.com, via phone at 1-800-325-3381, or via fax at 1-800-490-9889.