Week 17: January 4-9
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, Jan 4 Deuteronomy 27 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. The final curse shouted by the people from Mount Ebal summarizes our condition under God’s Law, because we are unable to obey it. “Cursed is the man who does not uphold the words of this law by carrying them out” (Deut 27:26). But for those of us with faith in Christ Jesus, the curse of the Law is only half of the story. See Romans 6:23. Explain.
Tuesday, Jan 5 Deuteronomy 28 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. Deut 28:13 describes God’s blessings to His people: “The LORD will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the LORD your God that I give you this day & carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom.” Tell how these words are fulfilled in the life of a believer through the obedience of Christ. See John 3:36.
Wednesday, Jan 6 Deuteronomy 29 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. Those who have fallen into thinking, “I will be safe, even though I persist in going my own way” (Deut 29:19) have swallowed one of the devil’s most convincing lies. In his second epistle, Peter writes about this same expression of unbelief. According to Peter what quality of God’s Word are the scoffers failing to acknowledge (2 Peter 3:3-7)?
Thursday, Jan 7 Deuteronomy 30 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. God’s Word clearly tells us that we do not choose God, rather He has chosen us to be His own dear children through faith in Christ Jesus. Yet, speaking to the people of God, near the end of his life Moses writes, “This day I call heaven & earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life & death, blessings & curses. Now choose life, so that you & your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to His voice, and hold fast to Him. For the LORD is your life, & He will give you may years in the land He swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob” (Deut 30:19-20). As children of God–New Testament believers through faith in Christ Jesus—what does it mean to you to “choose life”?
Friday, Jan 8 Deuteronomy 31 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. Deuteronomy 31:8 records, “The LORD Himself goes before you & will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid or discouraged.” When in your life will these words be especially comforting to you?
Saturday, Jan 9 Deuteronomy 32 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. Consider the image of God’s Word (delivered by Moses in his song), “Let my teaching fall like rain & my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants” (Deut 32:2). How do these words describe God’s Word at work? See Isaiah 55:10-11.
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia Publishing House
via e-mail at email@example.com, via phone at 1-800-325-3381, or via fax at 1-800-490-9889.