Week 22: February 8-13
Judges 17-I Samuel 1
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, Feb 8 Judges 17-18 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. How did Micah attempt to combine the worship of idols with the worship of the true God (Judges 17)?
Tuesday, Feb 9 Judges 19-20 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. Review Judges 19. Reacting to the rape and murder of his concubine, a man cut up the murder victim into 12 pieces and sent the pieces to each of the 12 tribes of Israel. Held in the devastating wake of this atrocity, the people planned to meet out punishment for the deed. They responded, “Think about it. Consider it! Tell us what to do!” After hearing Peter’s sermon at Pentecost the people responded somewhat similarly, “Brother, what shall we do (Acts 2:37)?” How did Peter respond (Acts 2:28)?
Wednesday, Feb 10 Judges 21 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. Substitute the word “Israel” in Judges 21:25 with the word “the people.” How might the words of Judges 21:25 apply to people today? What does it mean to have Jesus as king of our lives? See Ephesians 1:20-23.
Thursday, Feb 11 Ruth 1-2 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. Apply the rich imagery of the last portion of Ruth 2:12 to Ruth. Apply it to yourself as a follower of the true God.
Friday, Feb 12 Ruth 3-4 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. God always gives His people more than we could ever ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20). How was this especially true for Ruth and Boaz? (See Ruth 4:9–12; consider especially verse 11).
Saturday, Feb 13 I Samuel 1 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. After Hannah had prayed to God in anguish and grief over her inability to have children, Eli the priest said to her, “Go in peace, and may the God of Israel grant you what you have asked of Him” (1 Samuel 1:17). Why can God’s people always “go in peace form the house of God at the conclusion of divine worship? See Luke 2:29-31 and John 14:27.
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia Publishing House
via e-mail at email@example.com, via phone at 1-800-325-3381, or via fax at 1-800-490-9889.