Week 26: March 8-13
I Samuel 24-31
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, March 8 I Samuel 24 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. Review 1 Samuel 24:1–10. Explain David’s attitude and actions toward King Saul.
Tuesday, March 9 I Samuel 25 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. Abigail graciously interceded with David on behalf of her wicked and foolish husband Nabal (1 Samuel 25:24). Her loving actions designed to rescue Nabal remind us of our Savior’s actions on our behalf. Explain. See 1 John 2:1 and 1 Corinthians 15:3.
Wednesday, March 10 I Samuel 26 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. David offered the following comment when talking with Saul after once again sparing Saul’s life: “As surely as I valued your life today, so may the LORD value my life and deliver me from all trouble” (1 Samuel 26:24). How has Jesus showed the value he places on David’s life and ours (Mark 10:45)? As God’s Spirit empowers us through Word and Sacraments, how are we moved to regard others (Romans 12:20)?
Thursday, March 11 I Samuel 27-29 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. Consider 1 Samuel 28:7–10. What evidence do these short verses provide of the hold of sin upon Saul? See also James 1:15.
5. Truly amazing are the ways in which God protects and otherwise provides for His people. The enemies God’s people giving protection to David and his men for a period of time is but one example (1 Samuel 29). What examples of God’s care and provision in your life illustrate the amazing ways in which God works? See also 1 Corinthians 1:25–31.
Friday, March 12 I Samuel 30 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. When disaster or troubles overtake us, we can respond in one of two ways. See 1 Samuel 30:6 and explain.
Saturday, March 13 I Samuel 31 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
7. 1 Samuel 31 describes Saul’s tragic death at his own hand. Review 1 Samuel 31:1-4 and Matthew 27:41–50. Contrast the death of Saul and the death of Jesus.
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia Publishing House
via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, via phone at 1-800-325-3381, or via fax at 1-800-490-9889.