Week 28: March 22-27
2 Samuel 11-22
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, March 22 2 Samuel 11-12 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. 2 Samuel 12:1-14 tells of Nathan confronting David because of David’s sin with Bathsheba. God’s Spirit works through the Law and David repents of his sin. What words indicate David’s repentance? What statement of Gospel shows God’s grace to David?
Tuesday, March 23 2 Samuel 13-14 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. 2 Samuel 13 describes Amnon’s rape of his sister Tamar. Why does Jonadab also share responsibility for what happened (verse 5)? See also Proverbs 1:10-19.
Wednesday, March 24 2 Samuel 15-16 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel (2 Samuel 15:1-6)? How did Absalom steal the people’s hearts? Why were his actions wrong?
Thursday, March 25 2 Samuel 17-18 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. After all the rejection and ill-use David had endured at the hand of his son Absalom, David bitterly mourns his rebellious son’s death, “O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you—O Absalom, my son, my son” (2 Samuel 18:33)! In what way does David’s love for Absalom remind us of the love of God for us?
Friday, March 26 2 Samuel 19-20 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. Joab helps David to see the inappropriateness of his behavior in the face of those who put their lives on the line to save David and his family. Joab chides, “You love those who hate you and hate those who love you” (2 Samuel 19:6). When have you behaved as David did?
Saturday, March 27 2 Samuel 21-22 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. What is the theme of David’s song of praise, recorded in 2 Samuel 22? From what has God delivered you?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia Publishing House
via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, via phone at 1-800-325-3381, or via fax at 1-800-490-9889.