Week 38: May 31-June 5
2 Chronicles 25-33
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, May 31 2 Chronicles 25-26 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. As you think about true prosperity in connection with your reading of 2 Chronicles 25–26, the question frequently is asked, Why do the wicked prosper? Even the psalmist in Psalm 10 raises the question. Does it seem to you that the wicked prosper? Some religious leaders teach that when you trust the Lord you will be rich. Is there a difference between being prosperous and being rich? If so, what is the difference? Look at these Scripture passages for more insight into prosperity: Deuteronomy 5:33; Ezra 6:14; Proverbs 28:25; and Isaiah 45:7. Then thank the Lord for your prosperity in Christ.
Tuesday, June 1 2 Chronicles 27-28 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. How do you respond when you are reprimanded for doing something wrong? Look at the experience of the victorious Israelite soldiers (2 Chronicles 28:6–15). They had won a battle and plundered the losers. Oded confronted them, however (2 Chronicles 28:9–11). Why did he object to this plundering? What did he say should be done? What does this incident in God’s Word say to us?
Wednesday, June 2 2 Chronicles 29 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. How is Hezekiah’s action—to “remove all the defilement from the sanctuary” (2 Chronicles 29:5) and to cleanse everything in the temple that was unclean by taking it to the Kidron Valley (2 Chronicles 29:16) to purify—it similar to our own Baptism? Think especially of the answer to the question in Luther’s Small Catechism, What does such baptizing with water indicate?
Thursday, June 3 2 Chronicles 30-31 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. As you look at Hezekiah’s rule in 2 Chronicles 30–31, identify several aspects of godly administration of a government, a church, or any other entity as exemplified in his administration.
Friday, June 4 2 Chronicles 32 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. After reading the account of how God destroyed the Assyrian army (2 Chronicles 32:21), what are your thoughts about statements such as “God doesn’t take sides in wars”?
Saturday, June 5 2 Chronicles 33 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. To turn Manasseh around, the Lord allowed the king of Assyria to “put a hook in his nose” (2 Chronicles 33:11). What kinds of “nose hooks” do you think the Lord uses now to turn His people around, call them to repentance, so that His Word of grace in Jesus will be received?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia Publishing House
via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, via phone at 1-800-325-3381, or via fax at 1-800-490-9889.