GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, November 22 Ezekiel 10-11 Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 10, Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 11 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. Although the temple in Jerusalem was the place Israel thought of as their sanctuary, to Ezekiel God says He will be a sanctuary for the exiles wherever they reside (Ezekiel 11:16). What is a sanctuary? What did having a sanctuary mean for the Israelites (Psalm 31:20; 68:35; 91:9-10; Isaiah 4:6; Hebrews 6:19)? How is God a sanctuary for you?
Tuesday, November 23 Ezekiel 12-13 Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 12, Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 13 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. What would you ask them (See Ezekiel 12:9)? At God’s direction, Ezekiel did a similar thing – he packed up his things and acted out going into exile (See Ezekiel 12:3-7). What was God’s purpose in asking Ezekiel to do this (See Ezekiel 12:11)? Will Judgment Day ever come? When we take God’s Word seriously, what are some things we would be doing? How could we be repairing the wall today (Ezekiel 13:5)?
Wednesday, November 24 Ezekiel 14-15 Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 14, Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 15 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. Who are Noah, Daniel, and Job? What made them so noteworthy that the Sovereign Lord would mention them so often in Ezekiel 14 (vv. 14, 16, 18, 20)? See Genesis 6:8-9; 1 Peter 2:5; Hebrews 11:7; Daniel 1; Daniel 6:13; Job 1:1; Hebrews 11:32 ff.; Hebrews 12:2. What is the Lord’s point? How did these men become noted for righteousness? How do we become righteous (Romans 5:19; 2 Corinthians 5:21)?
Thursday, November 25 Ezekiel 16-17 Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 16, Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 17 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. Ezekiel 17:22-23 is a wonderful promise regarding the Messiah whom God will provide for all people. Consider the following Bible passages as you meditate on this picture of the promised Savior as a Shoot that grows into a strong Tree that provides shelter for all people: Isaiah 11:1; 4:2-6; 53:2 ff.; Jeremiah 23:5-6; 33:15; Romans 11:17.
Friday, November 26 Ezekiel 18-19 Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 18, Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 19 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. The Israelites in Bablyon looked upon their exile as punishment from God for sins that their ancestors had committed. In Ezekiel 18 God attempts to put an end to such talk by stating that “the soul who sins is the one who will die” (Ezekiel 18:20). “You are suffering for your own sins,” God says to them (Ezekiel 18:30-31). Framing His conversation with Ezekiel about the fairness of His action of placing Israel in exile are two wonderful and comforting thoughts. Summarize each one (Ezekiel 18:4a; 32). What is the comfort in each one? What does God do for the penitent sinner (Acts 3:19; Psalm 32:5; Acts 16:31)? What does the penitent sinner do in response to God’s love (Matthew 3:8; John 8:11; Galatians 5:13; 22-23)?
Saturday, November 27 Ezekiel 20-21 Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 20, Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 21 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. Ezekiel and the elders of Israel sat down together to talk face-to-face (Ezekiel 20:1). What was the subject of this discussion? Think of some other serious discussions mentioned in Scripture. What was the subject of the discussion? See, for example, Genesis 50:15-21; 2 Samuel 12:1-14; Luke 24:13-32, 36-45; Acts 4:1-20. When must we as Christians be involved in serious discussions about our faith? What should be the motivation and focus of such discussion? Pray for wisdom and words to say when members of your group engage others in a serious conversation about their Christian faith.
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia
Publishing House via e-mail at email@example.com, via phone at 1-800-325-3381,
or via fax at 1-800-490-9889