Ezekiel 47-Daniel 6
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, December 13 Ezekiel 47-48 Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 47, Read & Listen Online Ezekiel 48 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. Suppose your city or town, your church, your school, your home were called “God Is There,” as the city that Ezekiel saw was called (Ezekiel 48:35). What would be the implications of such a name for your church? School? Home? Look at these Scripture passages for some ideas: Genesis 28:10-19; Matthew 5:14-16; Acts 18:10; Hebrews 11:10, 16; Revelation 21:2-4.
Tuesday, December 14 Daniel 1 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. What is the significance of the information about God in Daniel 1:2, 9.
Wednesday, December 15 Daniel 2 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. Daniel reports (Daniel 2) that in his dream Nebuchadnezzar saw a rock strike a large statue and destroy it. This rock is often interpreted as being the Lord or the Lord’s kingdom. What is the comfort to us that comes from picturing our Lord as a Rock? Consult Deuteronomy 32:4; Psalm 18:2; Isaiah 26:4; 28:16; 1 Corinthians 10:4; 1 Peter 2:4-8 to help you meditate on this picture and share your observations.
Thursday, December 16 Daniel 3-4 Read & Listen Online Daniel 3, Read & Listen Online Daniel 4 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. Read and summarize Daniel’s advice to King Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel 4:27. Luther says that confession has two parts, “that we confess our sins” and then that we “receive absolution” (Luther’s Small Catechism, p. 213). How are Daniel’s advice and Luther’s definition related? Why might Daniel have said that the king should “renounce his sin by doing what is right”? What is the purpose of repenting (Acts 3:19)? By God’s grace, what will be the result of repentance (Matthew 3:8; John 8:11)? Pray for a repentant heart and the blessings of repentance in your own life.
Friday, December 17 Daniel 5 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. What are some aspects of world affairs that give you concern? List them and tell why they are of concern to you? Then read Daniel 5:21c, the theme of the book of Daniel. What is the assurance God brings to you in this verse? Share the comfort of God’s Word from these additional passages: Psalm 90:1-2; Romans 6:23; 8:28; Psalm 145:15-16; Genesis 50:20; Psalm 103:13.
Saturday, December 18 Daniel 6 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. What is a creed? Following his experience with his government’s officials and Daniel’s night in the lion’s den, King Darius issued his creed. Read the creed of King Darius (Daniel 6:25-27) and explain what he believed about God. What points would you include in your own creed?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia
Publishing House via e-mail at email@example.com, via phone at 1-800-325-3381,
or via fax at 1-800-490-9889