GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, January 24 Habakkuk 1-2 Read & Listen Online Habakkuk 1 Read & Listen Online Habakkuk 2 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. There is a saying, “Be careful what you ask for.” How might that saying apply to Habakkuk? What, in effect, was he asking God to do (Habakkuk 1:3)? What was God’s answer (Habakkuk 1:6)? What was Habakkuk’s second question (Habakkuk 1:13)? Does God tolerate evil? Explain your thinking. What does Habakkuk say God’s people should do in the face of evil (Habakkuk 2:4, 20)? How does this fit with what other Biblical writers have said (Psalm 91:9-10; Romans 6:23; 8:28; 2 Thessalonians 3:3; 2 Timothy 4:18? Pray the prayer of the hymn “Fight the Good Fight” (LW 299) at the conclusion of your discussion.
Tuesday, January 25 Habakkuk 3 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. Do you know when to stop asking questions of God? In our age of science and education, we want to know the answers. When did Habakkuk stop asking God questions? See Habakkuk 2:4, 20. Then what did Habakkuk do? See Habakkuk 3:1, 2-15, 16, and 17-19 for four things that he did.
Wednesday, January 26 Zephaniah 1-2 Read & Listen Online Zephaniah 1 Read & Listen Online Zephaniah 2 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. When you think of “sweeping away” something, what picture do you get? What is the Lord going to “sweep away” (Zephaniah 1:1-3)? God expressed the same idea in other places in Scripture (See Genesis 6:7; Exodus 32:9-10; Ezekiel 7:10-12)? Why is God going to do this (See Zephaniah 1:5-6, 17)? What is the message for us (Psalm 32:3-5; 1 John 1:8-10)? How did God “sweep away” our sin and guilt (Psalm 51:1-2; 1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 1:7; 2:1-2)? In your prayers, praise God that He has cleansed you from all sin.
Thursday, January 27 Zephaniah 3 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. Pentecost is in May. What connections do you see between the thoughts of Zephaniah 3 and the events and message of Pentecost (Acts 2)?
Friday, January 28 Haggai 1-2 Read & Listen Online Haggai 1 Read & Listen Online Haggai 2 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. Review the two chapters of Haggai. When God gives reasons why His people should do some work, these same reasons often become promises of God’s help to complete the work as well. Identify the reasons/promises that God gave to His people that they should complete the rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem. Apply these reasons/promises of God to the work He has given us to do to proclaim His Word to everyone.
Saturday, January 29 Zechariah 1-2 Read & Listen Online Zechariah 1 Read & Listen Online Zechariah 2 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. After reading Zechariah 1-2, summarize the messages of each of the three visions. Overall, is the message one of despair or one of hope? To what situations today might this message apply?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia
Publishing House via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, via phone at 1-800-325-3381,
or via fax at 1-800-490-9889