Mark 16-Luke 8
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, March 14 Mark 16 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. Though it is the climax of his book, Mark 16 describes the resurrection of Jesus simply. Summarize the details as Mark gives them. Note especially the details that the angel covers in the announcement of the resurrection to the women. How does each statement of the angel answer a concern that people might have and also comfort and bring joy to the disciples and people everywhere who realize their need for a Savior?
Tuesday, March 15 Luke 1 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. Mary and Elizabeth, both miraculously blessed by God, now came face to face, and when they did Elizabeth’s baby “leaped” in her womb (Luke 1:41). A baby’s movement in the womb is nothing unusual, so why did Luke record it as significant? (See Luke 1:15.)
Wednesday, March 16 Luke 2-3 Read & Listen Online Luke 2 Read & Listen Online Luke 3 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. People often confuse the peace that Christ came to bring with the cessation of hostility between nations. Obviously, nations still war and fight with one another. So then, what kind of peace did Jesus bring to earth (Luke 2:14)? (See Colossians 1:19-22.)
Thursday, March 17 Luke 4-5 Read & Listen Online Luke 4 Read & Listen Online Luke 5 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. Jesus preaches from Simon’s boat. (Note that Jesus later changed Simon’s name To Peter.” He then instructs Simon to row out into the deep water and let down his nets (Luke 5:1-4). This must have seemed a strange request to Simon. To fish in deep water during daylight hours ran counter to good fishing practice. Besides, Peter and his partners had failed to catch anything at the right time and place the night before. So why do you think that Peter agreed to go? How would you explain Peter’s request in verse 8? What (if anything) surprises you about Peter’s response to Jesus’ invitation to “catch men?”
Friday, March 18 Luke 6 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. Explain the logic of Luke 6:23. How does Jesus tie the comfort of the believer’s reward in heaven with the persecution of the Old Testament prophets? Compare James 1:12 and Romans 8:17.
Saturday, March 19 Luke 7-8 Read & Listen Online Luke 7 Read & Listen Online Luke 8 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. Luke records more of Jesus’ parables than any of the other gospel writers. He told these stories from everyday life in order to teach spiritual truths, truths about His Father’s kingdom. The disciples had a difficult time understanding the parable of the sower. What two suggestions from Luke 8:8b-9 could be of help to us when we find the words of Scripture difficult to understand?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia
Publishing House via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, via phone at 1-800-325-3381,
or via fax at 1-800-490-9889