Week 7: October 26-31
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, Oct 26 Exodus 14 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. As the people of Israel reacted to the approaching Egyptian army with fear and remorse, Moses reminded them of God’s power and protection. He said, “The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still” (Exodus 14:14). Apply these words to God’s Old Testament people to yourself. What does it mean to be still in the sight of God?
Tuesday, Oct 27 Exodus 15 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. After the miracle of the Exodus, the people praised God. They sang, “The LORD is my strength and my song; He has become my salvation” (Exodus 15:2). You can praise God with these same words. What miracle has God used to bring salvation to you (1 Peter 1:18-19)?
Wednesday, Oct 28 Exodus 16-17 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. When Moses held his hand in the air, God’s power brought success to the armies of Joshua in their battle against the Amalekites. When Moses grew tired and lowered his arms, the enemy began to win. Then Aaron and Hur put a stone under Moses and, one on each side, held Moses’ arms in the air until complete victory was realized by the people of God (Exodus 17:8-13). Whose arms are you helping to hold up?
Thursday, Oct 29 Exodus 18 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. Moses named his sons Gershom, “I have become an alien in a foreign land” and Eliezer, “My father’s God was my helper; He saved me from the sword of Pharaoh” (Exodus 18:3-4). Apply these words of Moses to yourself.
Friday, Oct 30 Exodus 19-20 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. Through Moses God told His people, “You will be for Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation” (Exodus 19:6). Read Revelation 1:4-6. How do you receive these same designations?
Saturday, Oct 31 Exodus 21-22 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. Read God’s words about social responsibility recorded in Exodus 22:16-27. Explain these words in light of the third use of the Law (the Law is a guide). See also 1 John 4:9,11.
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia Publishing House
via e-mail at email@example.com, via phone at 1-800-325-3381, or via fax at 1-800-490-9889.