GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, March 21 Luke 9 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. Luke writes, “Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem” (Luke 9:51). Jesus is determined to complete His mission in obedience to His Father and because of His love for all people. On His way to Jerusalem, Jesus travels through Samaria instead of taking the long way around Samaria as most Jews usually did. The Jews and Samaritans had been hostile toward each other for centuries. (2 Kings 17:24-41 explains how this hostility began.) When Jesus and His disciples entered a Samaritan village; the villagers would have nothing to do with Him. How did they hurt themselves in refusing to welcome Jesus?
Tuesday, March 22 Luke 10 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. Read Luke 10:1-16. Because Gospel preaching was greatly needed and the time was short, Jesus sent out a second group of seventy missionaries. They were to preach the Gospel of peace to the people in Berea and Judea, which the Lord referred to as great harvest fields. He urged the disciples to pray diligently for the Father to send out more laborers into the world’s mission fields. How does Jesus describe the world’s mission fields (Matthew 9:36-38; John 4:35-38)? Apply this to our mission opportunities.
Wednesday, March 23 Luke 11-12 Read & Listen Online Luke 11 Read & Listen Online Luke 12 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. God’s people are to be not only working servants, but also ready servants, awaiting our Lord’s return. According to Luke 12:35-40, what does it mean to be ready? See also 2 Peter 3:10-42.
Thursday, March 24 Luke 13 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. The Pharisees warn Jesus of a plot by King Herod to kill Him (Luke 13:31). Reflect on Jesus’ words. Why does Jesus not seem concerned about this threat nor even about death itself? (Compare John 4:32-34.)
Friday, March 25 Luke 14 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. Explain the meaning of Luke 14:13-14. Show how a believer acts in accordance with this admonition.
Saturday, March 26 Luke 15-16 Read & Listen Online Luke 15 Read & Listen Online Luke 16 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. Why would Luke 15:7 upset some of the people in Jesus’ audience? (See also Luke 16:14-15.)
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia
Publishing House via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, via phone at 1-800-325-3381,
or via fax at 1-800-490-9889