GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, May 9 Romans 7 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. What does it mean to be “sold as a slave to sin” (Romans 7:14) or to be “a prisoner of the law of sin” (7:23)?
Tuesday, May 10 Romans 8 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. Read Romans 8:1. What is the significance of this verse in the light of the struggle depicted in Romans 7?
Wednesday, May 11 Romans 9-11 Read & Listen Online Romans 9 Read & Listen Online Romans 10 Read & Listen Online Romans 11 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. Paul always remembered the spiritual privileges given to Israel as God’s chosen people. Eight of those privileges are noted in Romans 9:4-5. List them. Some other helpful background texts are: Genesis 15:17-21; 17:1-8; 22:15-18; Exodus 4:22; 16:10; 20:1-21; Isaiah 9:6-7; Matthew 1:2-16; Hebrews 9:1; 11:8-10.
Thursday, May 12 Romans 12 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. In Romans 12:1 Paul urges his readers “to offer your bodies as living sacrifices.” What motivation does Paul offer for doing this? See especially verse 1a and also 1 John 4:19.
Friday, May 13 Romans 13-14 Read & Listen Online Romans 13 Read & Listen Online Romans 14 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. On the basis of Romans 14:13-18 what is at stake in doing something another person believes is wrong, even if we are convinced that it is right (see especially v. 15)? What motivation will prevent us from distressing another Christian by what we do? What is the relationship between these matters and the kingdom of God?
Saturday, May 14 Romans 15-16 Read & Listen Online Romans 15 Read & Listen Online Romans 16 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. Define the issue which threatened to divide the church in Acts 15:1 and 5. What contribution to the Jerusalem council was made by (a) Peter (vv. 7-11), (b) Paul and barnabas (v. 12), and (c) James, the brother of Jesus and apparent leader of he Jerusalem church (vv. 13-21)?
7. In Romans 16:25-26 Paul recapitulates the essence of His Gospel. By way of review, what is the proclamation of the Gospel about? When was it revealed? For whom? To what end?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia
Publishing House via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, via phone at 1-800-325-3381,
or via fax at 1-800-490-9889