Ephesians 4-Philippians 4
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, June 13 Ephesians 4 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. The ascended Christ never gives gifts just to be giving them. They are always given for a purpose. This is true also of the gifts He gives to those who function as leaders in the church. They are given gifts not that they may attain position or power but in order to serve others. In fact, Christ gives gifts to all members of His body, the church, to use in service to Him. Paul says that leaders are given gifts “to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up” (Ephesians 4:12)? What kind of “[preparing] God’s people” is necessary to help members of your congregation use their gifts to carry out their tasks, their “works of service”?
2. Scan Ephesians 4:17-5:20 and list the behaviors Paul says are inconsistent with the Christian way of life. What kinds of attitudes and behaviors reflect the commitment a Christian has made?
Tuesday, June 14 Ephesians 5-6 Read & Listen Online Ephesians 5 Read & Listen Online Ephesians 6 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. Unfortunately, many people including Christian people, seem to believe that avoiding evil is all that the Christian life entails. Many Christians as well as non-Christians perceive Christianity as being against something. To say the least, that is certainly a negative view, and it is certainly not what Scripture says. Instead, we desire to do what God desires because of what God has done for us in Christ Jesus. Paul speaks not only of putting off your old self, but also of putting on the new self. What kinds of attitudes and behaviors reflect the commitment a Christian has made?
Wednesday, June 15 Philippians 1 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. Read Philippians 1:4-5. With whom are you partners in the Gospel? Following Paul’s example, how might you regard these people?
Thursday, June 16 Philippians 2 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. What is the relationship of God’s working (Philippians 2:13) to our working (2:12; see also 2 Peter 1:3)? What does God work in us?
Friday, June 17 Philippians 3 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. Read Philippians 3:12-14. What is the prize, the goal of the Christian life? When do believers attain it? In the meantime, how do they pursue it? To what are they responding as they do this, that is, what motivates and empowers them?
Saturday, June 18 Philippians 4 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
7. Review Philippians 4:4-7. What effect do outward circumstances have on the believer’s joy (verse 4)? According to verse 5 what should characterize our dealings with all others (see also 2:3-4)? The Lord may return at any time, and from the perspective of eternity, His return is near. How can that affect our attitude and how we treat others?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia
Publishing House via e-mail at email@example.com, via phone at 1-800-325-3381,
or via fax at 1-800-490-9889