Colossians & 1 Thessalonians 1-3
GodSpeak readings for each day are listed below. Click the link to read the section and/or listen online. A discussion question is listed below for you to use in your GodSpeak group session or for discussion with others who are reading along.
Monday, June 20 Colossians 1 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. Read Colossians 1:21-22. In these verses, Paul expands on the concept of reconciliation, applying it to the Colossian Christians and to all who believe in Christ. What had previously separated the Colossians from God? How had Christ changed this? What effect did Christ’s work have on the Colossians and on their relationship with God?
Tuesday, June 21 Colossians 2 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. Review Colossians 2:2-5. Paul explains the threefold purpose of his work as a minister of the Gospel: to lead God’s people to a proper understanding of the mysteries of Christ, to help them escape from error, and to bring them stability of faith. How are all three of these really aspects of the same goal?
Wednesday, June 22 Colossians 3-4 Read & Listen Online Colossians 3 Read & Listen Online Colossians 4 (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. Read Colossians 3:10-11. Explain what Paul means by comparing the “new life” in Christ with putting on “the image of its Creator.” (Think about the earlier discussion of God’s image—the image that Adam originally bore, and that Christ demonstrated perfectly.)
Thursday, June 23 1 Thessalonians 1 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. Read 1 Thessalonians 1:1-2. Paul felt responsibility toward the new believers in Thessalonica. Since he was forced out of the city by jealous Jews, he did not have the time to fully instruct them. While in Athens, he writes them giving them support and further instructions. What responsibilities do you and your church have for new believers? What are some things you might do to help new Christians in their walk with the Lord?
Friday, June 24 1 Thessalonians 2 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. Paul contrasts the word of man with the Word of God in 1 Thessalonians 2:13. How are they different? (Consider John 6:63).
Saturday, June 25 1 Thessalonians 3 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. The accusation made against some Christians is that they say one thing and do something else. According to 1 Thessalonians 3:1-3, 5, in what way did St. Paul demonstrate that he believed and followed the advice he had given to the leaders in Ephesus (Acts 20:28)?
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia
Publishing House via e-mail at email@example.com, via phone at 1-800-325-3381,
or via fax at 1-800-490-9889