Week 4: Genesis 36-44
Click to listen to this week’s recorded GodSpeak discussion group!
Want to join the discussion? Drop in a comment below!
Monday, Oct 5 Genesis 36-37 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
1. Jacob dearly loved Joseph, providing him with a richly embroidered robe (Genesis 37:3). Somewhat similarly, our heavenly Father dearly loves us. With what, according to Galatians 3:26-27, has God clothed us? What is the significance of this action for us?
Tuesday, Oct 6 Genesis 38-39 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
2. What one theme flows through Genesis 39:1-23? See verses 2-3, 5, 21-23. What encouragement can we find in these verses for those times when we feel like everything is against us?
Wednesday, Oct 7 Genesis 40 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
3. As God continued to bless, equip, and sustain him, Joseph kept things in proper perspective. Review Genesis 40:8. Explain how God desires His people to regard the talents and abilities He provides us. See also 1 Peter 5:6-7.
Thursday, Oct 8 Genesis 41:1-40 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
4. After being restored to his position, Pharaoh’s cupbearer forgot Joseph until Pharaoh Himself had dreams in need of interpreting. Then the cupbearer remembered Joseph. Scripture records the cupbearer’s words, “Today I am reminded of my shortcomings” (Genesis 41:9). What does 1 John 1:8-9 invite every believer to remember and confess?
Friday, Oct 9 Genesis 41:41-57 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
5. The names Joseph gave to his children bring to mind God’s grace in his life. How do the meaning of the names of Joseph’s sons (Genesis 41:51-52) remind you of God’s gracious providence in your life?
Saturday, Oct 10 Genesis 42-44 Read & Listen Online (Click “Audio” link to listen)
6. When ill fortune befell Joseph’s brothers on their trip to Egypt, they concluded that they were receiving punishment for their cruel treatment of Joseph (Genesis 42:21). Is this how God responds to us? If not, then how? See Hebrews 12:1-11.
Today’s Light Discussion Questions © 2009 Concordia Publishing House.
Used with permission. To subscribe to Today’s Light, contact Concordia Publishing House
via e-mail at email@example.com, via phone at 1-800-325-3381, or via fax at 1-800-490-9889.